Quotes & Sayings
1. Obedience to the carnal soul is the giving up of God.
2. The adorer of God is His lover and whom he makes His lover, doors of blessedness are made open to him and doors of evil are shut to him.
3. Immodest talk is sign of going astray, and to remain conscious is the sign of knowing the Truth.
4. The quest for paradise without good deeds, hope for intercession without adherence to sunna, and hope for Divine blessing after disobedience is foolishness.
5. Realizing verities and subtleties (haqaiq and daqaiq) as true and to explain them to people is pure tasawwuf.
6. Ignoring the results of evil consequences one should not talk of good and ill of others.
7. He who remains indifferent to worldly enticement will relish Divine love. This love is based on Divine grace.
8. Gnostics are a treasure mine of wealth within themselves. They need not any other riches.
9. He who trusts in God, remains secure from the evils of the people.
10. Beware! Allah sees you all the times.
11. Love is a Divine favour bestowed by God on His real devotees. It is not to be learnt from men; it is one of God's gifts and comes as a grace.
12. A true servant of God is a God intoxicated saint who sees nothing except his Beloved.
13. The saints of God are known by three sings: their thought are of God, their dwelling is in God and their business is with God.
14. Those who attain the knowledge of God, live in Eternal Bliss. If the gnostic (arif) has no bliss, he himself is in every bliss.
15. There are three signs of generosity- to keep faith without resistance, to praise without being incited and to give without being asked.
16. That person is not a faithful slave who does not enjoy the lash of his master; his claims of being honest are false.
17. When a believer occupies himself with things that do not concern him, it is a sign of God's wrath upon him.
18. To discuss a matter which is not beneficial to anyone is a sign of going astray.
19. Shut your eye from everyone and don't cast it with evil intention i,e., don't cast a lustful glance.
20. Love is such an entity which is neither learnt nor taught.
21. That foundation which is imperishable is 'justice', that bitterness which results in sweetness is 'patience', and that sweetness which results in bitterness, is sensuality. The disease which is incurable is foolishness.
22. The affliction or calamity from which people should flee is merriment.
23. Idol worship is outer polytheism and trust in the creatures is inner infidelity.
24. Satan loves the miserly Muslim and hates the generous sinner.
25. The amount of damage, in the companionship of rich people, is beyond measure. Flee from them.
26. He was asked: "What is the solution for worldly tribulations?" He answered, remoteness from the public and nearness to the Almighty.
27. He who does a good act for the sake of recompense, is a trader; he who does a good act for the fear of Hellfire is a slave who fears beating by the hand of his master, and he who does a good act for the pleasure of the Lord, is one that is liberated.
28. To have relationship with the sinner is to affirm his sinful acts and to conform with the sin is equal to sin.
29. If the belief is not perfect, worship too is worthless.
30. You in your state of richness think of yourself as lover of God, but when calamity descends, you flee from Him. To persevere in the wake of affliction is the sign of sincere love with God and His Prophet.
31. Seeing some young boys laughing and jesting in the boat, friends asked Maruf to pray that they be cursed. Maruf lifted his hands to the heaven and prayed in this fashion: "O Allah, my Lord, I beg you to make these people as joyful in heaven as you have made them joyful in this world." 'But we asked you to curse them!' said one of his people. Maruf answered, 'My brothers, if God allows them joy in heaven, it will be because He has accepted their repentance.' "